Macaroni and cheese recipes have always been popular among the American folks, but then, recently, the African folks have begun to try it out. Now, we have a beautiful merge known as the African American Macaroni and Cheese recipes. In this recipe outline, we will be looking at the different ways of making Macaroni and Cheese the African way!
Tips to employ when working with the African American Macaroni and Cheese recipes
Never overcook your macaroni. Every Macaroni and Cheese recipe requires that you boil your Macaroni before coating it with cheese and all the other toppings you like. Ensure that you do not cook your Macaroni for so long that it becomes soft! Usually, the best thing to do is to stop cooking your macaroni once it’s almost soft. The reason for this is because your macaroni would still be subject to heat when placed in the oven. You certainly wouldn’t want the end result to be the soggiest thing you have ever tasted.
If you do not want your Macaroni and cheese having too much of a cheese flavor, do not work with too much of cheese. Reduce whatever measurement of cheese you planned on working with initially by half. You could also go for cheese bars that melt easily. Such cheese bars do not have too much of the cheese flavor after they have been incorporated into the macaroni.
Ensure that you cook with the best kind of Macaroni you can find! The best kind shouldn’t be one to get soggy quickly. You want something that can still retain a high degree of firmness even after it has been subject to heat. You also should ensure that you add in a moderate quantity of salt when cooking your Macaroni.
Spice up the taste and flavor of your macaroni and cheese dish with pepper, onions, and several other spices that will be listed later in this recipe.
The best cheese bars for your macaroni and cheese diet include the following; Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, Monterey Jack, and so on!
African American Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Unsalted butter
- Extra sharp cheddar
- Eggs (two)
- Bread crumbs
- Milk (a cup and a half cup of milk)
- Macaroni (3 cups)
- Whipping cream (half cup)
- Jack cheese (shredded)
- Velveeta cheese (shredded)
– Preheat your oven to a temperature of about 350 degree Fahrenheit.
– Boil your macaroni in a pot of boiling water. Ensure that you add in a moderate amount of salt to the water, so that your macaroni has some taste at the end of the day.
– Drain your macaroni within a perforated container.
– Set your drained macaroni aside.
– In a separate bowl, pour in your milk. After that, whisk in your heavy cream and cheese.
– Add in a moderate measurement of salt and pepper to give the whisked liquid some taste. You can taste the whisked mixture at intervals to know if the seasonings are just adequate.
– Asides salt and pepper, you can work with other seasonings like paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, etc. This way, you get to incorporate a whole new bunch of flavors into your macaroni and cheese.
– Once you mix in all the spices and are content with the resulting taste, you can then proceed to add in your eggs. Ensure that you whisk in the eggs well so that the whole mix comes out as one.
– Next, get your baking dish ready. The first step is to butter the dish with the unsalted butter listed out in the ingredient list. Whatever size of baking dish you work with is okay. Some could work with a 13 by 9 inch dish, and others could work with other sizes.
– Pour in your sieved macaroni into the dish.
– Now, proceed to pour in the liquid mix that you made (the one containing cheese, eggs, milk and all your spices) over the macaroni. Ensure that the liquid mix spreads regularly over the macaroni. No side should contain more cheese than the other. Everything should be uniformly distributed.
You could also decide to go for the layer by layer kind of covering. It involves you pouring only a bit of your macaroni into the dish, and then, the cheese, and then, another layer of macaroni, and then, another layer of cheese, till everything is exhausted.
– Now, you can go ahead to garnish your dish with every single topping you have ever dreamt of. Toppings like bread crumbs, sausages, etc give your macaroni and cheese a fuller and more defined texture. You can also add in smoked cheddar cheese if you wish. The other toppings you could work with include the following;
- Fried chicken crumbs (you can improve the taste of your chicken by coating them with spices. You could also marinate a whole chicken breast and then, dice it into bits)
- Hot dogs
- Bacon (ensure that you cook them and then, cut them into small slices before adding to your dish)
- Cauliflower (This will fetch your dish a milky taste you wouldn’t forget in a hurry!
- Corn (This major topping screams the African American Macaroni and Cheese recipe. You could ever go wrong with it!)
- Pork (This particular topping needs to be cooked before it is added as topping. You want something sweet? Add pulled pork!)
- Ground beef
- Tomato slices
– Now, set the baking dish into the oven carefully. Ensure that you keep your baking time fixed. Usually, a time range of about 30 to 40 minutes does the trick.
– The macaroni and cheese may look a bit runny and messy as you take the baking dish out of the oven. That is why you must ensure that you allow it to cool. The cooling ensures that the cheese and macaroni stay as one piece. A cooling period of about 10 to 15 minutes is just great.
You can then enjoy your macaroni and cheese as a full or major dish!
Lastly, let’s look at some amazing side dishes that you can take with your African American Macaroni and Cheese dish!
- Barbecue ribs
- Broccoli (preferably get it roasted)
- Salad (preferably fruit salad. You could also add in nuts like almonds)
- Apple pies, etc.