I understand how frustrating it can be when your Airtel SIM card gets locked because you’ve entered the wrong PIN too many times. But don’t worry, I have a simple solution for you. In this post, I’m going to explain how to get your Airtel PUK (Personal Unlocking Key) code through SMS. So, let’s get started!
A PUK, which is short for Personal Unblocking Key, is a special 8-digit code that serves as a security feature provided by your mobile network provider to protect your SIM card in your phone. Think of the PUK code as a secret key that unlocks your SIM card when it gets locked due to multiple incorrect PIN attempts.
Your Airtel PUK Code, just like that of other mobile networks, is always written on the sim pack or SIM certificate. But chances are you might have misplaced it, hence the reason why you are reading this. So let’s dive right into it.
How to get airtel PUK code through SMS
Before you begin, you will need to take note of the 15-digit number on the back of the SIM card. You can write it down, or just bring out the SIM card and look at it directly from it when needed.
Get a phone with an Airtel SIM. Since your SIM is locked, you will not be able to use it or receive any SMS on it. So your best bet at getting your Airtel PUK code via SMS is with another SIM.
- Open the messaging app and send your phone (i.e. the phone number of the blocked SIM card) as an SMS to 785.
- Next, create another SMS and send the word PUK, followed by a space and then the 15-digit SIM number, to 121. i.e. text to PUK><Space>15-digit SIM number, to 121.
- Wait for a response. An 8-digit code will be sent to you shortly via SMS. Do well to write it down immediately before proceeding to unlock your SIM
To unlock your SIM card with the PUK you just received.
- Turn on the phone with your locked SIM card in it.
- Enter the received 8-digit code when prompted for PUK. It is presumed you should have written it down somewhere by now.
- Now set a New PIN for your SIM. Be sure to use something you can easily remember but hard for others to guess.
- Confirm the new PIN by entering it again.
Congratulations! Your Airtel SIM card is now unlocked and ready to use with your new PIN.
Please note that if you enter the wrong PUK code 10 times, your SIM card will be permanently blocked. So take care to enter the correct one sent to you.
Alternatively, if this doesn’t work for you, you can always call Airtel customer care on 300 from another Airtel number to get your PUK code. All you need is to provide some personal details, such as your name, date of birth, and SIM number to verify your identity when asked.