The National Identity Number, popularly known as NIN, is a must for everyone who is a Nigerian. But it is not just enough to have it, you should also verify it. The enrolment process, things can get mixed up or the identity of someone might need to be verified. That is exactly what the 11-digits of the NIN was created for, to verify the identity of a Nigerian.
While the NIN verification is meant to be a free process, there are some non-accredited agents that hide under the umbrella of accredited agents and charge verification fees sometimes reaching as high as N5,000 for you to get and verify your NIN.
Please do not pay anyone to do your NIN Verification. In this article you see how you can do free NIN Verification as instructed by the NIMC.
Free NIN verification
To do NIN verification you will need to enter required data to the NIMC Verification Service via the NIN Verification Portal. An accredited agent can help you do this at any NIMC office close by, but there is an easier way to do this.
Just in case you are reading this and you do not know your NIN number, you will need to check and write it down since it will be required for verification. Don’t worry, there are easy ways to retrieve your NIN, so let’s get to it.
How to check your NIN number
You can retrieve your NIN number easily using any of the phone numbers registered to your NIN. NIMC’s USSD service enables you to retrieve your NIN conveniently using your mobile phone.
- On your mobile phone, dial the code *346# and press send. It doesn’t matter which network you are using, the code works on all networks, MTN, Glo, 9mobile, Airtel, etc.
- On the USSD menu that shows up after dialing the code, type in the number corresponding with the NIN retrieval option and send.
- Your NIN will be sent to your number as a text message and a service fee of NGN 20 only will be deducted from your airtime balance.
As earlier said, this will only work if the number is linked to the NIN number.
Now that you have successfully retrieved your NIN, you can go ahead and do your free NIN Verification.
Do you have your 11-digit NIN number? Then head to the NIN verification portal and verify your NIN number now. Don’t know how to do that? Continue reading to learn how to verify your NIN.
How to verify NIN online
The Internet is one place you can get many things done. It’s no doubt and I’m very sure there have been many occasions where the internet has made things easier for you and saved you a lot of stress and cost.
If you haven’t, then the fact that you are reading this message right now is proof of how easy it is for you to get the needed information.
Luckily the NIMC has utilized this also and made provisions that you can use to verify your National Identification Number online via the NIN verification portal.
The NIN verification portal makes it possible to verify the details of people that have been enrolled in the National Identity Database by means of the NIN.
By inputting your NIN on the NIN verification portal, you can retrieve your data stored on the National Identity Database and verify if those details are correct or not. You can also check if your NIN is valid in the first place.
The NIN Verification Portal is available and accessible to both individuals and corporations that wish to verify the details of someone’s NIN. So you can quickly check and verify your NIN by yourself from the comfort of your home.
To verify your NIN online,
- Visit the official NIN Verification Portal via https://nimc.gov.ng/verification-service-api/. The NIN Verification Portal is the official NIMC portal for verification of identities. You cannot do NIN verification online anywhere else apart from this portal.
- Access the drop down menu at the top of the page.
- Scroll through the menu and click on the option that says Verify NIN.
- On the NIN verification page that loads, enter the 11-digits of your NIN in the dedicated space for that.
- There is usually an anti-bot verification challenge in place to prove you are human. Enter the security code from the challenge correctly in the provided space.
- Finally click on the Submit button below the details you have entered.
You will get a pop up display on the screen showing your NIN verification results, it shows if your NIN is verified or not.
In the case where you get a NIN verification pop up that says your NIN is not verified, the best decision is to visit any NIMC office close to you and get your NIN verified.